Followers

7.09.2010

My Dinner with a Founding Father

Some days we all have trouble juggling the daily stresses of life. Trying to find balance between a career, family and a fulfilling personal life can be quite a challenge. So when I get stressed out, I think back to one of the world’s best multi-taskers, Ben Franklin. I’ve always had something of a mini obsession with Franklin. He played a major role in shaping our nation and he was one of the best inventors in history. He also filled the role of entrepreneur and world class playboy, spending his evening hours partying with some of the biggest names in American history. That’s why I’ve always wanted to hang with him; maybe take him out to dinner.

Going back in time to chill with Franklin and his crew would be cool, but I’d really like to see his reaction to the world today. Whenever I see a movie chock full of CG special effects I wonder, “What would Ben Franklin think?” I’m curious about how he would react to television? Or a ride on an airplane?

I’m confident Franklin would roll with the future really well. I mean, if you traveled back in time and brought say, a pilgrim, back to 2010 with you, he’d probably soil his pantaloons if you took him to see Jurassic Park, or Avatar. But I think Ben Franklin could handle it. I think he’d relish the opportunity. I can’t think of anyone who’d be a more willing time traveler. Maybe DaVinci or Einstein, but Franklin would easily match their enthusiasm.

I’d take him to a poppin’ night club in New York, or Chicago. He wouldn’t even have to change his game when he’s talking to today’s women. He’d be at the bar like, “Hey ladies, I discovered electricity.”

Think about it. That’s still impressive more than 250 years later. I can’t think of anything I’ve every done that would help me bank up that much street cred.

Ben Franklin signed the Declaration of Independence, he was a scientist, a poet and the Postmaster General. He started the nation’s first public lending library and the first fire station in Pennsylvania, all while inventing bifocal lenses. Plus, he’s still helping farmers plant crops more than 210 years after he died. Has the Poor Richard’s Almanac ever been wrong?

He was on the first U.S. postage stamp and more than half a dozen other stamps since then. Franklin’s got his name on a bridge, a football field, a Pennsylvania college, even a character from M*A*S*H is named after him (Benjamin Franklin “Hawkeye” Pierce.)

Plus, he was the 15th of 17 children in his family. I can’t think of anyone who’d have more stories to tell.

If I could have dinner with anyone throughout history it would have to be Ben Franklin. I just hope I’d be able to hide my man-crush. Hopefully I could keep myself from giggling like a school girl when I met him.

No comments:

Post a Comment