Followers

7.12.2010

How Many Hammers Should a Man Really Own?

by Chris Vanasdalan



Let me make one thing perfectly clear. I’ve never been know for having the prowess of a handyman. I consider myself an above average house painter and I’ve managed to struggle my way through the assembly of more than one piece of Swedish furniture. I can wield a shovel, I’ve built a fence (with lots of help) and I certainly can swing a sledgehammer when I need to, but mostly I’m only called on to hang the occasional picture.

I’m not completely worthless when it comes to home improvement projects, but my tool collection could hardly be called extensive. I’ll put it this way, I’m 30 years old and I’ve never had a proper tool box. But now I’m a homeowner, so I decided it was time to take stock of my tool collection, if only so I could organize it in a way that will keep me from stubbing my toe on a random set of pliers when I head down to the basement.

So imagine my surprise when I realized that I own not two, not three, but four hammers. Now you might be thinking that maybe they’re different types of hammers; maybe a ballpeen or a rubber mallet mixed in. But no, they’re four nearly identical claw hammers.

How did I end up with a four hammers over the years? I mean they make up like 15% of my tool set. I’ve got to be honest, I have no idea how I acquired them all. I don’t remember ever actually buying one. I vaguely remember being given one as a gift a few years back, but for the most part their origins are a complete mystery to me. But seeing all four of them side-by-side got me thinking about my life as a whole.

Have I’ve spent too much of my time supplying myself with a bunch of tools that all serve the same purpose? Have I been afraid to try and expand my skill set, the proverbial tool box of life?

I’ve always needed to use different tools over the years, but I’ve never felt the projects required me to go out and buy them. I’ve always been smart enough to know when I’m in over my head and I’ve been quick to let friends and family pitch in to help. It’s nice to know I’ve got people in my life willing to offer support, but I think it’s time for me to start adding to my personal tool box. After all, you can’t hire a professional to help get you through every project.

I think it’s time to teach myself a few new tricks, start a few projects while putting the responsibility back on myself. Or maybe I’m making too much out of having four hammers and I should just put two of them out in the next garage sale.

2 comments:

  1. Give one back to the loving sister who gave it to you for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem with duct tape. I recently designated a drawer just for tape in my studio and discovered that I have 6 different things of duct tape. I don't even know where it came from. My theory is that it's multiplying when my back is turned.

    ReplyDelete