Followers

8.20.2010

I’m Gonna Be Me: Playing it Safe Just Isn’t Working

I’ve been having a tough time coming up with content for my blog lately, and I think it’s really starting to hurt my overall writing skills. I need to be honest with myself. I’m a writer. That’s what I’m best at, and that’s what I need to be focused on. Everyday.

I’ve been stressing over ways to create useful and easily consumable content. But I’m letting the quest for perfect content get in the way of my overall talents. In fact I’ve been writing nothing but crap. And surprise, surprise, people don’t like reading crap. And because I’ve been writing crap, I’ve been writing less, which leads to more crap.

It’s not like I’ve run out of things to write about, I’ve just been scared to be myself. I’ve been too focused on vanilla topics, regurgitating stuff I’ve read in books about marketing, or social media techniques, or advertising. But I’m not an expert in any of those fields and I don’t want to pretend I am.

I’ve been thinking a lot about what sets me apart. And I keep coming back to the same premise. What makes me different is.... me. The way I think is what sets me apart. My sarcastic and often cynical view of the world is essentially the ingredient that gives me spice. I feel like a chef with a really tasty secret sauce, but I’m afraid to use it in my cooking because I’m worried customers won’t like it. But nobody likes food with no flavor.

Finding my voice has been hard since I’ve gone full-time freelance. I can’t be afraid to admit that. I’m a big believer in evaluating my own weaknesses, but I’ve been spending so much time worried about what I don’t do well that I’ve been ignoring my strengths.

I’ve spent most of my professional life as a journalist and reporter, and that’s what I’m going to get back to. I’m giving myself permission to write about anything and everything I feel is important. Personal stuff, politics, environmental issues, local events, food, opinion. Nothing is off limits.

I know that developing a following starts with good content. Right now I’m just not producing. So from now on, I’m going to write as much as possible and let readers decide.

I can’t be afraid to express my opinion simply because I might turn off a few potential clients. The goal isn’t to alienate people or to stir up controversy, but my opinions are one of my greatest strengths, and I have to leverage what I do best.

I can’t keep making excuses for why I’m not coming up with fresh content. I can’t be afraid to question things and to make people think. Playing it safe isn’t working, so maybe pushing the envelope will help me find my voice and generate good content people actually want to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment