Followers

5.11.2010

An open letter in support of the Indianapolis Marion County Public Library System (IMCPL).

For those that don’t know the situation; IMPCL is projected to lose up to $9 million dollars over the next three years.


From the library website...

IMCPL will need to scale its budget requirements for multiple scenarios as the Library system faces a loss of up to $2.6 million in 2010, $3.1 million in 2011, and $3.2 million in 2012 in property tax revenue, or an estimated 7%-8% of its yearly operating budget. The Library is funded by a combination of taxes, grants and fees and charges. The property tax is the Library's primary source of revenue and accounts for 86% of the Library's projected income in 2010. In 2009, actual property tax revenues accounted for 80% of the Library's operating revenue. IMCPL receives no County Option Income Tax (COIT) and only a small portion of revenue comes from Local Option Income Tax (8% of revenue in 2010), and fines and fees (4%). State statute requires most services be provided free for residents of the district...

The funding challenges come at a time when library services are being used more than ever. In 2009, IMCPL set a record for patron visits (5.9 million), circulation (17.1 million items), free computer usage (1.2 million session hours) and reference transactions (952,256). The Library is being used by families and individuals for its free resources to conduct job searches, early literacy programs for children, and computer access.


Right now it seems the plan is to close 4-6 branches, mainly in lower income neighborhoods.

This simply shouldn’t have to happen.

So from here on out, I pledge to do more to support of the library system & highlight it’s benefits.

I know I’m late to the party & I know this may be too little too late. I admit I’m a casual library user. I try to stop by at least once a month to pick up a few books. I rarely have any idea of what I’m looking for. And that’s the fun of it. I simply walk down the aisles & pick up two or three books that catch my eye. Occasionally I’ll stop in just to read for a few minutes.

But I do know what it’s like to rely on the library for computers, internet access, e-mail & all the other contemporary forms of communication most of us take for granted. And so do thousands of people here in Indianapolis.

For many the library is the ONLY source for news & current events.

We can’t simply take the library away from the people who need it most. Look at what’s happening in school districts across the state. Revenue is down and schools are slashing budgets. Let’s face it, the situation isn’t about to change anytime soon. Permanent property tax caps are on the ballot in the fall. But what should we spend our tax dollars on if not this?

Children need to develop a desire to learn & gather knowledge. Community Libraries help parents & kids do that. If the city loses 6 library branches that will be dimming the future for thousands of kids in Indianapolis for years to come.

The city has virtually no public transportation. IndyGo does it’s best, but they’re handcuffed by the drop in property tax revenue too. Hundreds if not thousands of families won’t be able to get to the library on a regular basis.

I’m a homeowner & I'm willing to pay my share of property taxes. Luckily, I’m close to 2 branches, one just a short walk away. But not everyone has that luxury. For many children in the city, the library is the only place they can spend a summer day without either spending money or getting into trouble.

So I want to do my part to keep libraries open. It starts with volunteer work. I will be volunteering with Indy Reads. They have a Literacy Volunteer Orientation this Saturday (5/15/2010). Call (317) 275-4036 to get involved.

I pledge to be more vocal & visible in my support for the library system here in Indianapolis. And I urge everyone else who cares about culture & education to do the same. You can make your voice heard a public forum tomorrow, Wednesday, May 12 at 6:30 p.m. at the Library Services Center, 2450 N. Meridian Street. The Library Board considers final approval of a plan at its regular meeting on Thursday, June 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment